Friday, October 05, 2007

The Children of The Night (part 4)

~+--- I. The Fall of The Evening ---+~ (4)

I quickly locked all windows and doors as he left, prevented him from coming back again. I was in relief as I locked the last window. Thinking of a nice hot shower after this horror would be nice for sure…
“You forgot to lock this window…”
My heart stopped. Oh no, that vampire again. He stood in front of me with a wide smile showing his fangs. He grabbed my arms and put his fangs on my neck,
“Now it’s drinking time… I’m so thirsty…”
Suddenly he coughed. Some thick almost black liquid spread all over my body. He growled in agony and fell on me. I struggled to release myself from him but it was not easy. A pond of blood beneath made the floor slippery and I failed to keep my body stand firm. I fell again and again until finally succeeded to stay still. I turned him around and saw his chest was bleeding. He panted and groaned,
“Help me!”
I was terrified. How could I do that to this person, a Methuselah, my enemy?
“No, I can’t. I’d rather let you die.” He looked at me helplessly,
“I promise I will not kill you if you help me.”
“How do I know you will keep your promise, Methuselah?”
He pulled a ring from his finger.
“Keep this. This is my royal stamp. Whoever brings this ring will not be harmed or killed. Keep this!” He put the ring on my hand.
I was stunned. Not only by his promise but seeing blood all over the place made me sick. My head went dizzy. He screamed in pain,
“Please take out the bullet inside my chest or I will die soon!”
“I’m not a surgeon. I can’t do any operation.”
“Just pull it with your fingers. It’s okay.” He held my hand and brought my fingers to the wound. I put my fingers into the bleeding flesh, trying to find the bullet. He screamed in agony as my fingers went deeper. Gosh, I almost lost my consciousness doing this. His screaming and this “operation” thing were almost beyond my limit. The thick mixture of flesh and blood made me hard to find the bullet. He groaned like a beast and plunged his claws into my arm. I gripped that struggling hands tightly trying to calm him.
“Hold still. It’s almost there.”
I finally got the bullet and threw it away. I almost couldn’t stand still. My head was spinning around. I rushed into the toilet and vomited.
I felt a lot better after releasing the content of my stomach. That Methuselah was still lying on the floor, breathing peacefully. He had lost his consciousness. Now, I had to move him from the pond of his blood. I started to drag him away from the floor. He was so heavy! I also had to remove his blood stained clothes and clean his body to be able to bandage the wound. It’s not an easy job.
After finished dragging him to the bed, I fell on the side of the bed. Sat still there, I held the ring he gave me. It was made of some kind of metallic; might be platinum. On the seal, it has a Cyrillic inscription “Ioan Vasilica”. Maybe it was his name. I looked at the sleeping vampire next to me. Seeing him harmless like this, made me felt sorry for him. I reached out my hand and caressed his hair to comfort him. He seemed saying something but I couldn’t catch his soft voice. Then I fell asleep.
I woke up the next morning. There was no trace of him except the ring in my hand.

(continued here)

No comments:

samurai

samurai , originally uploaded by fragilefreaks .